Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gulab Jamuns-With Homemade Khoya



I am the only one with a sweet tooth in our house. My husband refrains from sweets for health reasons and my daughter likes certain sweet stuff not everything sweet (mostly cakes and cookies that mommy bakes :) ) and my son does not like eating cookies or cakes not even sweetened cereal. So other than the occasional cookies or cakes mostly requested by my daughter I hardly make any sweet dish for desert.

Gulab Jamun is a cheese based dessert made from milk solids. It holds a special place in my heart as it always brings back childhood memories, although my mom use to make them with the premixes from the store and I still loved them it’s one of my favorite sweets. And the best homemade delicious Gulab Jamun I have ever had is from my sister’s friends place. It was always there on their menu weather it’s a birthday party or special occasions. If I remember right they actually owned a sweet shop that made fresh homemade sweets and savories in St Thomas Mount, Chennai. Simply thinking about the Gulab Jamuns is making me drool. But for the past few weeks people have been flooding  Facebook  with delicious Diwali sweets that made me crave for something sweet too....Gulab Jamnu!!  So after much research I ended up with a good recipe but the recipe called for milk powder and I had no milk powder in hand and neither did I want to go to the store and buy some because I wasn't sure if I would be using it again. Hence I decided so make some Khoya from scratch and the main ingredient was milk and with two toddlers around we always have milk in hand that too full cream! Yes it’s a long procedure to make the Khoya but believe me it’s worth it. They definitely add to the texture and taste of the Gulab Jamnn’s. The Khoya can also be made ahead and refrigerated for up to a week and use them when you need to make Gulab Jamnu. Go ahead and try this delicious treat today!

Verdict : Adhya and  Mommy absolutely loved it ! And she calls them mini balls:)





Gulab Jamuns-Made With Homemade Khoya-Recipe

 

Notes:

  • Once the milk comes to boil keep stirring at regular intervals and once the milk begins to thicken keep stirring continuously until all the liquid evaporates as this might stick ot the bottom of the pan otherwise.
  • Use a non stick pan to make the khoya.
  •  Do not over fry the Jamuns like me (it should have a golden yellow color) when the Jamuns are over fried they do not absorb the sugar syrup easily. I had to soak mine for longer in the warm sugar syrup. But they turned out good!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Author

singapore, Singapore
Hello, Welcome to Eleventeen Recipes and counting authored by me, Shibi. This blog is an outlet to share my love for food, cooking and clicking. It includes a collection of traditional recipes from my mom, mother-in-law, sister and friends kitchens, and a few from cook books, other food blogs, and a few of my own experiments. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.