Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Kallappam or Vellayappam


Another traditional breakfast item authentic to Kerala Christians is Kallappam or Vellayappam. In my house it’s called Vellayappam and my husband side they call it Kallappam (as Kalu / toddy is used to ferment it).


Vellayappm was made mostly during Easter Sundays for breakfast and mom use to collect and store coconut water for fermenting them sometimes for a quick recipe she also used yeast. My mother in law makes it with toddy (an alcoholic beverage created from the sap of coconut palms) as it is easily available in Kerala.  Unlike the famous Palappam (lace hoppers) or Kerala appam served in many restaurants in and outside and Kerala, kallappam is mostly restricted to syrian christian homes because of its strong flavor of cumin a more acquired taste. An acquired taste because, as a child I was not very fond of them instead I always liked its cousin the tastier and better looking palappam.  There are many variations of these appams in some aparts of kerala people also add shallots and the recipe is unique to every household.

Lately as an effort to introduce my children to Indian breakfast items I make these Kallappam more often and must say I have developed a liking to them. Especially to the combination of Kallappam and Motta curry or Kallappm and Beef curry (the greatest combination ever). The Kallappam I make is fermented with yeast and they are soft as clouds and almost melts is your mouth. Adhya loves to eat them and she can’t stop with one whereas Alan is not very fond of it he too likes palappam better. So here’s the recipe for the traditional Kallappam, recipe source is my mom and I have made a few tweaks just to suit the rice and coconut that I use at home in Singapore.



Kallappam or Vellayappam Recipe:


Ingredients:

Yields: 15 appams
Preparation time: Soaking ,grinding and inactive time:4 hours,30 mins,6 hours resp, 
Cooking time ( approx 3 mins for each appam) .
  • Rice (Good Quality Sona masoori or Basmati rice) - 2 cups
  • Cooked rice – 1 cup
  • Coconut Shredded – 1cup
  • Cumin (jeeragaom) - 1tbsp
  • Sugar -2 tbsp.
  • Salt -1 tsp
  • Yeast (instant /dry) - ½ tsp.
  • Water - ~2/4 cup 








Notes:

  • Use good quality rice I used basmati rice.
  • I use a mixie (Indian preethi mixie) to grind the rice instead of using water I use Ice cubes. Ice cubes cool the batter because once they become hot while grinding it can compromise the softness of the appams.
  • The appams are quite thick like uttaappm or like pancakes you can spread them slightly (not like dosa though) if you find it difficult to flip them.
  • Allow the appam batter to ferment in a warm place if you live in very cold places put them in the oven with the light on. 















No comments:

Post a Comment


Author

singapore, Singapore
Hello, Welcome to Eleventeen Recipes and counting authored by me, Shibi. This blog is an outlet to share my love for food, cooking and clicking. It includes a collection of traditional recipes from my mom, mother-in-law, sister and friends kitchens, and a few from cook books, other food blogs, and a few of my own experiments. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.